Dr. Samuel B. English died at the Union Forge Nursing Home in Glen Gardner, New Jersey on November 3, 1949 of cerebral hemorrhage at the age of 72, He was a pioneer in the campaign against tuberculosis. He was the former Superintendent of the New Jersey State Sanatorium at Glen Gardner, New Jersey. At that institution he was the first superintendent assuming that position in 1907 even before the construction was completed, and maintained that office until two years ago when he was retired. He was born in 1877 at Leeds Point, Atlantic County, New Jersey where his father conducted a general store and also taught school. He graduated from the Jefferson Medical College in 1906 and interned at the Cooper Hospital, Camden, New Jersey.
New Jersey was the thirteenth state to erect a hospital for the treatment of tuberculosis and Dr. English was selected as the first superintendent of that institution, established in Glen Gardner, New Jersey. When he assumed charge there was no organized fight against tuberculosis in the State. He opened one of the first free public clinics for the diagnosis and treatment of tuberculosis at St. Michael's Hospital, Newark, New Jersey. The clinic was later transferred to the Center Market and then to the Newark Health Department. Under his supervision clinics and admission stations were created in all large cities of New Jersey. In 1920 the legislature approved $10,000 for the extention of these clinics into the rural areas. No section of the state was uncovered by physicians working under the supervision of Dr. English.
Dr. English was active in obtaining legislation for private county tuberculosis hospitals and began this work in 1912. He later was active in introducing tuberculin testing among high school students and in 1934 offered the facilities at Glen Gardner Sanatorium for tuberculin testing of students of the Warren County High School. As the result of his activity a law was passed in 1939 requiring that all Boards of Education provide for tuberculin testing or x-raying of high school pupils and all school personnel. He was one of the founders of the New Jersey Chapter of the American College of Chest Physicians, a charter member of the New Jersey Trudeau Society, a past president of the New Jersey Health and Sanitary Association and past president of the New Jersey Tuberculosis League. He was also a member of the Hunterdon County Medical Society, the Medical Society of the State of New Jersey, American Medical Association, the National Tuberculosis League and the American Public Health Association.
New Jersey mourns the loss of one of Its outstanding physicians, a man who pioneered the diagnosis and treatment of tuberculosis, and was active in stimulating physicians to study diseases of the lungs. He had magnetic qualities, a pleasing personality, was admired and respected by all who knew him. His memory will be forever cherished by his friends and associates throughout this State. He has been an international figure in the fight against tuberculosis and we of the New Jersey Chapter feel that we have lost one of our most outstanding members.
Irving Willner, M.D., Governor for New Jersey.
Marshall Rowles Beard
Dr. Marshall R. Beard died at his home in San Fernando, California on July 24, 1949. He was born October 6, 1911 in Sacramento, California. He received his degree of Doctor of Medicine from McGill University in 1938.
Dr. Beard took his internship at the Sacramento County Hospital during the year 1938-1939. Following this, he was a resident at the Butte County Hospital. He next served on the staff of Weimar Sanatorium. He joined the staff of Olive View Sanatorium on January 5, 1948 and continued in this position until his death.
He was an Associate Fellow of the American College of Chest Physicians, a member of the Los Angeles County Association, and a member of the staff of the San Fernando Hospital.
He leaves his wife, Jean, and two children.
Buford H. Wardrip, M.D., Governor for California.
John Eugene Fahy
Dr. John E. Fahy of Prescott, Arizona, died on November 4, 1949. He was former clinical director of the Veterans Administration Center at Whipple, Arizona. Dr. Fahy was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and received his early education there. He received his degree of Doctor of Medicine from the University of Pennsylvania in 1901 and interned in St. Joseph's and Methodist Hospitals in 1901 and 1902. Until 1906 he practiced in Philadelphia and then moved to California where he developed his specialties in the treatment of chest disease and cardiac conditions, working in the Los Angeles County Hospital and in Los Angeles city and county clinics.
In 1917 he was commissioned a major in the army and was assigned to tuberculosis and cardiac examining boards. Later he was stationed at Fltzslmons General Hospital at Denver, serving there until discharge in 1920. He then entered the U. S. Public Health Service and was sent to Whipple barracks in April 1920.
He subsequently served at the Veterans Hospitals in Walla Walla, Washington, Dwight, Illinois, Kansas City, Missouri, Fort Bayard, New Mexico, Livermore, California, returning to Whipple in 1941 where he served until his retirement in September 1946.
Dr. Fahy was a Fellow Emeritus of the American College of Chest Physicians and also held membership in the Yavapai County Medical Society and the American Trudeau Society. He Is survived by his wife, Mae Ruth Sheehan Fahy.
Roy A. Wolford, M.D., Governor for the Veterans Administration.
© 1950 Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.