Study Design and Methods
Abbreviations:AMI (acute myocardial infarction), aOR (adjusted OR), CULPRIT-SHOCK (Culprit Lesion Only PCI vs Multivessel PCI in Cardiogenic Shock), LBBB (left bundle branch block), LBBBMI (left bundle branch block myocardial infarction), NSTEMI (non-ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction), PCI (percutaneous coronary intervention), STEMI (ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction)
Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Cardiogenic shock.Ann Intern Med. 1999; 131: 47-59
- Improving care of STEMI in the United States 2008 to 2012.J Am Heart Assoc. 2019; 8e008096
- Cardiogenic shock in patients with acute ischemic syndromes with and without ST-segment elevation.Circulation. 1999; 100: 2067-2073
- Differences in the profile, treatment, and prognosis of patients with cardiogenic shock by myocardial infarction classification.Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2013; 6: 708-715
- One-year survival among patients with acute myocardial infarction complicated by cardiogenic shock, and its relation to early revascularization: results from the GUSTO-I trial.Circulation. 1999; 99: 873-878
- Percutaneous coronary intervention for cardiogenic shock in the SHOCK Trial Registry.Am Heart J. 2001; 141: 964-970
- Early revascularization in acute myocardial infarction complicated by cardiogenic shock.N Engl J Med. 1999; 341: 625-634
- 2015 ESC Guidelines for the management of acute coronary syndromes in patients presenting without persistent ST-segment elevation: Task Force for the Management of Acute Coronary Syndromes in Patients Presenting without Persistent ST-Segment Elevation of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC).Eur Heart J. 2016; 37: 267-315
- 2014 AHA/ACC guideline for the management of patients with non-ST-elevation acute coronary syndromes.Circulation. 2014; 130: e344-e426
- Lack of association between left bundle-branch block and acute myocardial infarction in symptomatic ED patients.Am J Emerg Med. 2009; 27: 916-921
- Evolving considerations in the management of patients with left bundle branch block and suspected myocardial infarction.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012; 60: 96-105
- Patients with prolonged ischemic chest pain and presumed-new left bundle branch block have heterogeneous outcomes depending on the presence of ST-segment changes.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005; 46: 29-38
Collet J-P, Thiele H, Barbato E, et al. 2020 ESC guidelines for the management of acute coronary syndromes in patients presenting without persistent ST-segment elevation. The Task Force for the Management of Acute Coronary Syndromes in Patients Presenting Without Persistent ST-Segment Elevation of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Eur Heart J. Oxford Academic website. https://academic.oup.com/eurheartj/advance-article/doi/10.1093/eurheartj/ehaa575/5898842. Accessed September 15, 2020.
- Cardiogenic shock with non-ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction: a report from the SHOCK Trial Registry. Should we emergently revascularize occluded coronaries for cardiogenic shock?.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2000; 36: 1091-1096
- Trends in incidence, management, and outcomes of cardiogenic shock complicating ST-elevation myocardial infarction in the United States.J Am Heart Assoc. 2014; 3: e000590
- PCI strategies in patients with acute myocardial infarction and cardiogenic shock.N Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 2419-2432
- Multivessel versus culprit lesion only percutaneous revascularization plus potential staged revascularization in patients with acute myocardial infarction complicated by cardiogenic shock: design and rationale of CULPRIT-SHOCK trial.Am Heart J. 2016; 172: 160-169
- One-year outcomes after PCI strategies in cardiogenic shock.N Engl J Med. 2018; 379: 1699-1710
- Fourth universal definition of myocardial infarction (2018).Eur Heart J. 2019; 40: 237-269
- Electrocardiographic diagnosis of evolving acute myocardial infarction in the presence of left bundle-branch block. GUSTO-1 (Global Utilization of Streptokinase and Tissue Plasminogen Activator for Occluded Coronary Arteries) Investigators.N Engl J Med. 1996; 334: 481-487
- Prognostic value of the admission electrocardiogram in acute coronary syndromes.JAMA. 1999; 281: 707-713
- Predictors of in-hospital mortality in 1333 patients with acute myocardial infarction complicated by cardiogenic shock treated with primary percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI); results of the primary PCI registry of the Arbeitsgemeinschaft Leitende Kardiologische Krankenhausärzte (ALKK).Eur Heart J. 2004; 25: 322-328
- A comparison of ST elevation versus non-ST elevation myocardial infarction outcomes in a large registry database: are non-ST myocardial infarctions associated with worse long-term prognoses?.Int J Cardiol. 2011; 152: 70-77
- Investigator versus core laboratory evaluation of coronary flow and related mortality in the CULPRIT-SHOCK Trial.Circ Cardiovasc Interv. 2019; 12e008296
- Long-term cardiovascular outcomes in patients with angina pectoris presenting with bundle branch block.Am J Cardiol. 2011; 107: 1565-1570
H. Thiele and G. Montalescot contributed equally as senior authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT: The CULPRIT-SHOCK trial was supported by the European Union Seventh Framework Program [Grant 602202], by the German Heart Research Foundation, and the German Cardiac Society.