Abbreviations:AER ( automated endoscope reprocessor), ATP ( adenosine triphosphate), CFU ( colony-forming unit), EBUS ( endobronchial ultrasound), FDA ( Food and Drug Administration), HLD ( high-level disinfection), PPE ( personal protective equipment), RLU ( relative light units)
- Flexible bronchoscopy.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2015; 191: 7-8
- Transmission of infection by flexible gastrointestinal endoscopy and bronchoscopy.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2013; 26: 231-254
- Guideline for processing flexible endoscopes.in: Guidelines for Perioperative Practice. AORN Inc., Denver, CO2016: 675-758
- ANSI/AAMI ST91: 2015 Flexible and semi-rigid endoscope processing in health care facilities.AAMI, Arlington, VA2015: 1-70
- American College of Chest Physicians and American Association for Bronchology [corrected] consensus statement: prevention of flexible bronchoscopy–associated infection.Chest. 2005; 128: 1742-1755
- Lessons learned from outbreaks and pseudo-outbreaks associated with bronchoscopy.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2012; 33: 230-234
- Mycobacterial contamination of bronchoscopes: challenges and possible solutions in low resource settings.Int J Mycobacteriol. 2016; 5: 408-411
- Nosocomial outbreak of Pseudomonas aeruginosa infections related to a flexible bronchoscope.J Hosp Infect. 2006; 64: 129-135
- An outbreak of Pseudomonas aeruginosa infections following thoracic surgeries occurring via the contamination of bronchoscopes and an automatic endoscope reprocessor.J Infect Chemother. 2008; 14: 418-423
- A carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae outbreak following bronchoscopy.Am J Infect Control. 2014; 42: 936-937
- Outbreak of Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection associated with contamination of a flexible bronchoscope.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2009; 30: 550-555
Dickson A. Enterobacter cloacae found in an endobronchial ultrasound scope (EBUS): now what do we do? Paper presented at: Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology Annual Conference; June 14-16, 2017; Portland, OR.
- Practical toolkit for monitoring endoscope reprocessing effectiveness: identification of viable bacteria on gastroscopes, colonoscopes, and bronchoscopes.Am J Infect Control. 2016; 44: 815-819
- Food and Drug Administration. Infections Associated With Reprocessed Flexible Bronchoscopes: FDA Safety Communication.https://www.fdanews.com/ext/resources/files/09-15/092115-safety-notice.pdf?1442508647(Accessed June 6, 2018)Date: September 17, 2015
Food and Drug Administration. MAUDE Adverse Event Report: Olympus Endobronchial Ultrasound Scope EBUS Scope; 2016. MDR Report Key 5755841.
Food and Drug Administration. MAUDE Adverse Event Report: Olympus Endobronchial Ultrasound Scope EBUS Scope; 2016. MDR Report Key 5755839.
Food and Drug Administration. MAUDE Adverse Event Report: Karl Storz Endovision, Inc. Video Bronchoscope. 2015. MDR Report Key 4895901.
Food and Drug Administration. MAUDE Adverse Event Report: Olympus Medical Systems Corp Evis Exera Bronchovideoscope Bronchoscope. 2014. MDR Report Key 4380504.
Food and Drug Administration. MAUDE Adverse Event Report: Olympus Medical Systems Corp EVIS EXERA II Bronchovideoscope. 2016. MDR Report Key 6077928.
Food and Drug Administration. MAUDE Adverse Event Report: Olympus Medical Systems Corp. EVIS EXERA III Bronchovideoscope. 2017 MDR Report Key 6816094.
- The effectiveness of sterilization for flexible ureteroscopes: a real-world study.Am J Infect Control. 2017; 45: 888-895
- Longitudinal assessment of reprocessing effectiveness for colonoscopes and gastroscopes: results of visual inspections, biochemical markers, and microbial cultures.Am J Infect Control. 2017; 45: e26-e33
- Endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration: safe as it sounds.Respirology. 2017; 22: 1093-1101
- Standards of infection prevention in reprocessing flexible gastrointestinal endoscopes.Gastroenterol Nurs. 2016; 39: 404-418
- Persistent contamination on colonoscopes and gastroscopes detected by biologic cultures and rapid indicators despite reprocessing performed in accordance with guidelines.Am J Infect Control. 2015; 43: 794-801
- The use of rapid indicators for the detection of organic residues on clinically used gastrointestinal endoscopes with and without visually apparent debris.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014; 35: 987-994
- Comparison of adenosine triphosphate, microbiological load, and residual protein as indicators for assessing the cleanliness of flexible gastrointestinal endoscopes.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41: 161-164
- Reprocessing practices for gastrointestinal endoscopes: a multicentre study in Egyptian university hospitals.East Mediterr Health J. 2017; 23: 514-519
- Validation of adenosine triphosphate to audit manual cleaning of flexible endoscope channels.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41: 245-248
- Development and validation of rapid use scope test strips to determine the efficacy of manual cleaning for flexible endoscope channels.Am J Infect Control. 2012; 40: 860-865
- The adenosine triphosphate test is a rapid and reliable audit tool to assess manual cleaning adequacy of flexible endoscope channels.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41: 249-253
- Assessing residual contamination and damage inside flexible endoscopes over time.Am J Infect Control. 2016; 44: 1675-1677
- Effectiveness of flexible gastrointestinal endoscope reprocessing.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2013; 34: 309-312
- Simulated-use validation of a sponge ATP method for determining the adequacy of manual cleaning of endoscope channels.BMC Res Notes. 2016; 9: 258
- Adenosine triphosphate bioluminescence for bacteriological surveillance and reprocessing strategies for minimizing risk of infection transmission by duodenoscopes.Gastrointest Endosc. 2016; 85: 1180-1187
- Residual moisture and waterborne pathogens inside flexible endoscopes: evidence from a multisite study of endoscope drying effectiveness.Am J Infect Control. 2018; 46: 689-696
- Duodenoscope reprocessing surveillance with adenosine triphosphate testing and terminal cultures: a clinical pilot study.Gastrointest Endosc. 2017; 86: 180-186
- A glimpse at the true cost of reprocessing endoscopes: results of a pilot project [Communiqué].International Association of Healthcare Central Service Materiel Management (IAHCSMM), Chicago, IL2017: 62-78
- Hygiene Management Guide for Environmental Surfaces.3M Company, Saint Paul, MN2013: 1-20
- ESGE-ESGENA guideline for quality assurance in reprocessing: microbiological surveillance testing in endoscopy.Endoscopy. 2007; 39: 175-181
- Infection Control in Endoscopy [clinical update].3rd ed. Gastroenterological Society of Australia, Gastroenterological Nurses College of Australia, Victoria, Australia2011
- Interim protocol for healthcare facilities regarding surveillance for bacterial contamination of duodenoscopes after reprocessing.Department of Health & Human Services, 2015: 1-5
- Measures to improve microbial quality surveillance of gastrointestinal endoscopes.Endoscopy. 2016; 48: 704
Food and Drug Administration. MAUDE Adverse Event Report: Hoya Corporation PENTAX Tokyo Office PENTAX Fiber Bronchoscope. 2017 MDR Report Key 7287335.
- Persistent residual contamination in endoscope channels: a fluorescence epimicroscopy study.Endoscopy. 2016; 48: 609-616
- A pseudo-outbreak of Pseudomonas putida and Stenotrophomonas maltophilia in a bronchoscopy unit.Respiration. 2016; 92: 274-278
- Investigating a Mycobacterium avium complex pseudo-outbreak associated with outpatient bronchoscopy clinic: lessons for reprocessing.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2016; 3: 247
Singh H, Duerksen DR, Schultz G, et al. Impact of cleaning monitoring combined with channel purge storage on elimination of Escherichia coli and environmental bacteria from duodenoscopes. Gastrointest Endosc. In press.
National Decontamination of Reusable Invasive Medical Devices Advisory Group, Quality Improvement Division, Health Service Executive (HSE). HSE Standards and Recommended Practices for Endoscope Reprocessing Units, version 2.2. October 2012. https://www.hse.ie/eng/about/who/qid/qualityand-patient-safety-documents/endoscopereprocessing-version22.pdf. Accessed June 5. 2018.
Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC). Essential Elements of a Reprocessing Program for Flexible Endoscopes: The Recommendations of HICPAC. 2016. https://www.cdc.gov/hicpac/pdf/flexible-endoscope-reprocessing.pdf. Accessed June 5, 2018.
- Lubricant Statement.Olympus America, Inc., Melville, NY2010Accessed June 11, 2018)
- Crystallization in the waterjet channel in colonoscopes due to simethicone.Endoscopy. 2016; 48: e394-e395
- Simethicone residue remains inside gastrointestinal endoscopes despite reprocessing.Am J Infect Control. 2016; 44: 1237-1240
- The role of biofilms in reprocessing medical devices.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41: S77-S80
- Tolerance of Pseudomonas aeruginosa in in vitro biofilms to high level peracetic acid disinfection.J Hosp Infect. 2017; 97: 162-168
- Clinical evaluation of a liquid chemical sterilization system for the flexible bronchoscopes.J Bronchology Interv Pulmonol. 1995; 2: 192-199
- Video-Bronchoscope EB-450/470 Series Operation Manual.Fujifilm, Tokyo, Japan2014: 1-52
- BF-190 Series Reprocessing Manual.Olumpus Medical Systems, Tokyo, Japan2013: 1-98
- Instructions for Use 70/70K Series Video Slim Scopes.Pentax Medical, Montvale, NJ2016
- Sterrad 100NX System Cycle Selection.Johnson & Johnson, New Brunswick, NJ2013
- Efficacy Letter.Steris Corporation, Mentor, OH2017: 1-2
- Probability of negative Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex cultures based on time to detection of positive cultures: a multicenter evaluation of commercial-broth-based culture systems.J Clin Microbiol. 2012; 50: 3275-3282
Food and Drug Administration/Centers for Disease Control and Prevention/American Society for Microbiology Working Group on Duodenoscope Culture. Duodenoscope Surveillance Sampling and Culturing: Reducing the Risks of Infection. Atlanta, GA: Department of Health and Human Services; 2018. https://www.fda.gov/downloads/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/ReprocessingofReusableMedicalDevices/UCM597949.pdf. Accessed June 5, 2018.
FUNDING/SUPPORT: 3M Company provided a research grant and study materials including luminometers and adenosine triphosphate–testing devices and swabs. Healthmark Industries sterilized sample collection materials and provided borescopes, spectrophotometers, sample collection materials, and supplies for hemoglobin and protein tests. The sponsors were not involved in designing the study, collecting data, interpreting results, or preparing the manuscript.