Abbreviations:AHI ( apnea-hypopnea index), CI ( confidence interval), REM ( rapid eye movement), SHHS ( Sleep Heart Health Study)
- The relation between cigarette smoking and sleep disturbance.Prev Med. 1994; 23: 328-334
- Cigarette smoking and sleep disturbance.Arch Intern Med. 1995; 155: 734-737
- Tobacco withdrawal and nicotine replacement influence objective measures of sleep.J Consult Clin Psychol. 1995; 63: 658-667
- Cigarette smoking and nocturnal sleep architecture.Am J Epidemiol. 2006; 164: 529-537
- The Sleep Heart Health Study: design, rationale, and methods.Sleep. 1997; 20: 1077-1085
- Performance of a five-item mental health screening test.Med Care. 1991; 29: 169-176
- Screening for mental health: validity of the MHI-5 using DSM-IV axis I psychiatric disorders as gold standard.Psychiatry Res. 2001; 105: 243-253
- Usefulness of the SF-36 Health Survey in measuring health outcomes in the depressed elderly.J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol. 1996; 9: 13-21
- The MOS 36-item short-form health survey (SF-36): I. Conceptual framework and item selection.Med Care. 1992; 30: 473-483
- Methods for obtaining and analyzing unattended polysomnography data for a multicenter study: Sleep Heart Health Research Group.Sleep. 1998; 21: 759-767
- US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC1968 (NIH Publication No. 204) Manual of standardized terminology, techniques and scoring system for sleep stages of human subjects.
- McGraw-Hill, New York, NY2000: 209-211 Sampling and series: the Fourier transform and its applications.
- Springer, New York, NY2001 A practical guide to splines.
- Effects of transderman nicotine on mood and sleep in nonsmoking major depressed patients.Psychopharmacology (Berl). 1995; 121: 476-479
- Changes in sleep after acute and repeated administration of nicotine in the rat.Psychopharmacology (Berl). 1999; 145: 133-138
- Acute effects of transdermal nicotine on sleep architecture, snoring, and sleep-disordered breathing in nonsmokers.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1994; 150: 469-474
- Dose-dependent effects of transdermal nicotine on early morning awakening and rapid eye movement sleep time in nonsmoking normal volunteers.J Clin Psychopharmacol. 1994; 14: 264-267
- Neurobiology of the nicotine withdrawal syndrome.Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2001; 70: 531-549
- Circadian blood nicotine concentrations during cigarette smoking.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1982; 32: 758-764
- Cigarette smoking associated with sleep difficulty.Science. 1980; 207: 551-553
- The validity of self-reported smoking: a review and meta-analysis.Am J Public Health. 1994; 84: 1086-1093
- Relations of cotinine and carbon monoxide to self-reported smoking in a cohort of smokers and ex-smokers followed over 5 years.Nicotine Tob Res. 2002; 4: 287-294
- Sleep and daytime sleepiness in upper airway resistance syndrome compared to obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome.Eur Respir J. 2001; 17: 838-847
The opinions expressed in this paper are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Indian Health Service.
Supported by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute through the following cooperative agreements: HL53940 (University of Washington); HL53941 (Boston University); HL63463 (Case Western Reserve University); HL53937 (Johns Hopkins University); HL53938 (University of Arizona); HL53916 (University of California, Davis); HL53934 (University of Minnesota); HL63429 (Missouri Breaks Research); and HL53931 (New York University). Dr. Punjabi was also supported by grants HL075078, HL086862, and AG025553.
The authors have reported to the ACCP that no significant conflicts of interest exist with any companies/organizations whose products or services may be discussed in this article.