Abbreviations:CI (confidence interval), CTD (connective tissue disease), ET (endothelin), ET-A (endothelin-A receptor), ET-B (endothelin-B receptor), PAH (pulmonary arterial hypertension), PH (pulmonary hypertension), Ppa (pulmonary arterial pressure), PVR (pulmonary vascular resistance), STRIDE (Sitaxsentan To Relieve Impaired Exercise), WHO (World Health Organization)
Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Clinical classification of pulmonary hypertension.Clin Chest Med. 2001; 22: 385-391
- Primary pulmonary hypertension: a vascular biology and translational research “work in progress.”.Circulation. 2000; 102: 2781-2791
- New treatments for pulmonary arterial hypertension.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002; 165: 1209-1216
- Endothelin receptor antagonists in pulmonary hypertension.Lancet. 2001; 358: 1113-1114
- A novel potent vasoconstrictor peptide produced by vascular endothelial cells.Nature. 1988; 332: 411-415
- Increased plasma endothelin-1 in pulmonary hypertension: marker or mediator of disease?.Ann Intern Med. 1991; 114: 464-469
- Expression of endothelin-1 in the lungs of patients with pulmonary hypertension.N Engl J Med. 1993; 328: 1732-1739
- Pulmonary removal and production of endothelin in the anesthetized dog.J Appl Physiol. 1994; 76: 694-700
- Pressor effects of circulating endothelin are limited by its removal in the pulmonary circulation and by the release of prostacyclin and endothelium-derived relaxing factor.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1988; 85: 9797-9800
- Vascular endothelin-B receptor system in vivo plays a favorable inhibitory role in vascular remodeling after injury revealed by endothelin-B receptor-knockout mice.Circulation. 2002; 106: 1991-1998
- Exaggerated hypoxic pulmonary hypertension in endothelin B receptor-deficient rats.Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2002; 282: L703-L712
- Effects of the dual endothelin-receptor antagonist bosentan in patients with pulmonary hypertension: a randomised placebo-controlled study.Lancet. 2001; 358: 1119-1123
- Bosentan therapy for pulmonary arterial hypertension.N Engl J Med. 2002; 346: 896-903
- Sitaxsentan therapy for pulmonary arterial hypertension.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2004; 169: 441-447
- Effects of the dual endothelin receptor antagonist bosentan in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension.Chest. 2003; 124: 247-254
- The 6-minute walk: a new measure of exercise capacity in patients with chronic heart failure.Can Med Assoc J. 1985; 132: 919-923
- A comparison of continuous intravenous epoprostenol (prostacyclin) with conventional therapy for primary pulmonary hypertension: the Primary Pulmonary Hypertension Study Group.N Engl J Med. 1996; 334: 296-302
- Clinical efficacy of sitaxsentan, an oral endothelin-A receptor antagonist, in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension.Chest. 2002; 121: 1860-1868
- Continuous intravenous epoprostenol for pulmonary hypertension due to the scleroderma spectrum of disease: a randomized controlled trial.Ann Intern Med. 2000; 132: 425-434
- Beraprost therapy for pulmonary arterial hypertension.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2003; 41: 2119-2125
- The effect of high doses of calcium-channel blockers on survival in primary pulmonary hypertension.N Engl J Med. 1992; 327: 76-81
- Reduction in pulmonary vascular resistance with long-term epoprostenol (prostacyclin) therapy in primary pulmonary hypertension.N Engl J Med. 1998; 338: 273-277
- Survival in primary pulmonary hypertension: the impact of epoprostenol therapy.Circulation. 2002; 106: 1477-1482
- Long-term intravenous epoprostenol infusion in primary pulmonary hypertension.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2002; 40: 780-788
- Outcome in 91 consecutive patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension receiving epoprostenol.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2003; 167: 580-586
Drs. Langleben, Hirsch, and Barst have been investigators or consultants for Encysive Pharmaceuticals Corporation, and Ms. Shalit and Ms. Lesenko have served as coordinators for studies sponsored by Encysive Pharmaceuticals Corporation.
Dr. Langleben is a Chercheur Boursier Clinicien National (National Research Scholar) of the Fonds de la Recherche en Sante du Quebec.
This work was supported in part by the Bank of Montreal Center for the Study of Heart Disease in Women, at the Jewish General Hospital.