- The role of anticholinergics in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Am J Med. 2004; 117: 24S-32S
- A 4-year trial of tiotropium in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.N Engl J Med. 2008; 359: 1543-1554
- Hospitalizations and mortality in the Lung Health Study.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002; 166: 333-339
- Risk factors for death from asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and cardiovascular disease after a hospital admission for asthma.Thorax. 1999; 54: 301-307
- Risk for death associated with medications for recently diagnosed chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Ann Intern Med. 2008; 149: 380-390
- Cardiovascular morbidity and the use of inhaled bronchodilators.Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2008; 3: 163-169
- Inhaled anticholinergics and risk of major adverse cardiovascular events in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA. 2008; 300: 1439-1450
- Inhaled corticosteroids in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and risk of death and hospitalization: time-dependent analysis.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2003; 168: 1488-1494
- Spirometry use in clinical practice following diagnosis of COPD.Chest. 2006; 129: 1509-1515
- COPD exacerbations. 1: Epidemiology.Thorax. 2006; 61: 164-168
- Time-dependent covariates in the Cox proportional-hazards regression model.Annu Rev Public Health. 1999; 20: 145-157
- Is there any association between inhaled ipratropium and mortality in patients with COPD and asthma?.Respir Med. 2003; 97: 264-272
- Meta-analysis: anticholinergics, but not beta-agonists, reduce severe exacerbations and respiratory mortality in COPD.J Gen Intern Med. 2006; 21: 1011-1019
- Veterans' access to and use of Medicare and Veterans Affairs health care.Med Care. 2007; 45: 214-223
Funding/Support: This research was funded by the US Department of Veterans Affairs Health Services Research and Development ( IIR 03-307 ).
Reproduction of this article is prohibited without written permission from the American College of Chest Physicians (www.chestjournal.org/site/misc/reprints.xhtml).