Abbreviations:CI (confidence interval), DVT (deep venous thrombosis), PE (pulmonary embolism), RR (relative risk), V (ventilation/perfusion), VTE (venous thromboembolism)
Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Mortality by cause for eight regions of the world: Global Burden of Disease Study.Lancet. 1997; 349: 1269-1276
- COPD exacerbations: 2. Aetiology.Thorax. 2006; 61: 250-258
- Hospital and 1-year survival of patients admitted to intensive care units with acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.JAMA. 1995; 274: 1852-1857
- COPD and incident cardiovascular disease hospitalizations and mortality: Kaiser Permanente Medical Care Program.Chest. 2005; 128: 2068-2075
- Acute pulmonary embolism.N Engl J Med. 2008; 358: 1037-1052
- The importance of initial heparin treatment on long-term clinical outcomes of antithrombotic therapy: the emerging theme of delayed recurrence.Arch Intern Med. 1997; 157: 2317-2321
- The Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies.Lancet. 2007; 370: 1453-1457
- Diagnosing acute pulmonary embolism: effect of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease on the performance of d-dimer testing, ventilation/perfusion scintigraphy, spiral computed tomographic angiography, and conventional angiography; ANTELOPE Study Group, Advances in New Technologies Evaluating the Localization of Pulmonary Embolism.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2000; 162: 2232-2237
- The diagnosis of acute pulmonary embolism in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Chest. 1992; 102: 17-22
- Pulmonary embolism and sibilant types of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease decompensations [in French].Rev Mal Respir. 2002; 19: 415-423
- Should pulmonary embolism be suspected in exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease?.Thorax. 2007; 62: 121-125
- Pulmonary embolism in patients with unexplained exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: prevalence and risk factors.Ann Intern Med. 2006; 144: 390-396
- Assessing clinical probability of pulmonary embolism in the emergency ward: a simple score.Arch Intern Med. 2001; 161: 92-97
- Use of a clinical model for safe management of patients with suspected pulmonary embolism.Ann Intern Med. 1998; 129: 997-1005
- Accuracy of clinical assessment in the diagnosis of pulmonary embolism.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1999; 159: 864-871
- Central pulmonary artery lesions in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a transesophageal echocardiography study.Circulation. 1999; 100: 1808-1815
- Risk factors of emergency care and admissions in COPD patients with high consumption of health resources.Respir Med. 2004; 98: 318-329
- Accuracy of clinical decision rule, d-dimer and spiral computed tomography in patients with malignancy, previous venous thromboembolism, COPD or heart failure and in older patients with suspected pulmonary embolism.J Thromb Haemost. 2006; 4: 1042-1046
- Global strategy for the diagnosis, management, and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: GOLD executive summary.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2007; 176: 532-555
- Acute pulmonary embolism: clinical outcomes in the International Cooperative Pulmonary Embolism Registry (ICOPER).Lancet. 1999; 353: 1386-1389
- Meta-analysis: an adolescent in need of evidence and a watchful eye.Ann Med. 1999; 31: 153-155
This project was supported by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research and the Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research.
None of the authors have any conflicts of interest to disclose.
Reproduction of this article is prohibited without written permission from the American College of Chest Physicians (www.chestjournal.org/misc/reprints.shtml).